This is the *third* matrix of this show that I've released. The first two were released in rapid succession in August 2013 (within a week or two of my first starting to make matrixes). Why am I releasing a new version of the show now? If you compare this release to either of the two earlier ones, you'll have all the answer you need!
FRESH LEGS, VOL. 2 (Matrix)
- Thanks go to everyone who worked on and made available the sources used in this matrix. Obviously, this project would have been impossible without their efforts.
- This show is one of my personal favorites. It's also a bit of a sentimental favorite, seeing as it was supposed to be my first Dead show. Alas, it didn't work out, and I had to wait still longer before seeing them. It's a very strong show, worthy of your attention even if you're leery of late-era Dead.
The highlight of the show is undoubtedly the "So Many Roads," which is the best one I've ever heard by a long shot. The "China Cat/Rider" is also very, very nice: it's got my personal favorite "Wish I was a headlight..." verse. The "Uncle John's Band" has less flubbing of the lyrics than usual; you can tell, if you listen close, that Jerry was into it and was hearing the melody in new ways (as he often did in later years), but had no space to explore because of the harmonizing. The "Attics of My Life" and "Row Jimmy" are both very nice as well, as they often were around this time. Finally, it's got one of my favorite "Drums."
- I cleaned up a number of imperfections in the SBD source using iZotope RX 3 Advanced.
- During "Throwing Stones," two seconds are missing from the Pujol source. There is no break; the source simply skips ahead two seconds. I fixed the problem.
- The sources were remastered and mixed in Logic Pro 9. Clean-up was done using iZotope RX 3 Advanced. The sets were split in WaveLab LE 7. SBE's were fixed using Trader's Little Helper.
- I speed- and pitch-corrected both AUD sources using the iZotope Radius algorithm. Fine-tune syncing was done in Logic Pro 9.
January 15, 2013